La Message Board Archives

Re: cars in Mex?

Posted by Jon Pace on April 26, 2009, 3:37 pm, in reply to "Re: cars in Mex?"

Registering a 10-year-old US car in Mexico has not been automatic. There have been windows of opportunity that open, but that also close in Jalisco. It is not something that has been available year round. But it isn't important to have your US-bought vehicle registered with Mexican plates unless you want to get an FM2 in anticipation of becoming a Mexican citizen. Then you are much better off buying in Mexico. Otherwise you can stay legally registered in the US by registering in S. Dakota. It costs about $35 USD per year to renew and they will send plates/registration and renewal to any address you give them, including in Mexico. We have had S. Dak plates for two years. There are more S. Dakota plates around Lake Chapala than from any other state. Of course, you can stay registered in several other states without maintaining you NoB insurance (a useless expense if in Mexico), but this entails returning every year or two for inspections and renewal of registration. You can also drive with expired plates with no problem as long as you don't have an accident. The police won't hassle you, but the other driver's lawyer can argue that you had no right being on the road, and you can be held liable. If you are interested, I'll give you the name and number of the person to contact in S. Dakota. Good luck!

Message Thread:

By posting, you confirm that you have read and agreed to be bound by the board's usage terms.


Be sure to visit