La Message Board Archives

Re: Crossing US border with someone else's car

Posted by Don Binkley on August 19, 2009, 10:53 am, in reply to "Re: Crossing US border with someone else's car"

Bring the original plus two(2) copies of the following documents:

Valid proof of citizenship (passport or birth certificate).
The appropiate immigration form (tourist card). learn about visa options
The valid vehicle registration certificate, or a document, such as the original title that certifies the legal ownership of the vehicle. It must be in the driver's name.
The leasing contract (if the vehicle is leased or rented) which must be in the name of the person importing the car. If the vehicle belongs to a company, present the document that certifies the employee works for the company.
A valid driver's license, issued outside Mexico.
An international credit card, also issued outside Mexico (American Express, Mastercard or Visa), in the name of the driver of the vehicle.

Since the car already has a valid mexican travel decal and you have those papers to surrender when you stop at the banjercito on your way back to the USA...unless the auto permit still has plenty of time left before the expiration date on the windshield decal and you wish to come and go several times again. I hope that you have a tourist visa, you will have to get one at the mexican immigration station. You had better check with the Mexican consulate to find out what will be required from the original owner as his/her name will be on the IMPORTACION TEMPORAL DE VEHICULOS and you could really get hasseled at the first check point past the Mexican border station. You might only need a notarized statement from the owner. Other than that once you go through the first checkpoint you will never be asked for papers again unless you are stopped for a traffic violation or get into an accident. Don


Message Thread:

By posting, you confirm that you have read and agreed to be bound by the board's usage terms.


Be sure to visit