La Message Board Archives

Re: No More FM 2

Posted by Dean & Judy on January 3, 2014, 6:43 pm, in reply to "No More FM 2"

INM’s New Types of Permits for Visiting Mexico or Moving to Mexico
Instead of the old “Inmigrante” & “No Inmigrante” (FM’2 & FM3′s), there are 4 new categories:
***”Visitante“: 6 Types: Non-Working Visitors (tourist), Working Visitors, and Visitors for Adoptions, Humanitarian, etc. 180 day limit. See Chapter 2, Article 52, Items I – VI of the Law for descriptions of all 6 types. At any point while the Visitante permit is valid, the foreigner can go to an INM border office, surrender their “old” Visitante permit, and get a “new” Visitante permit, to give them another 180 days of time permitted in Mexico.

***”Residente Temporal“: Covers the old “No Inmigrante” (old FM3) , 4 year limit per Residente Temporal permit, Work Permit possible, Leave and Re-enter as many times as desired. This category transfers directly from the old “Inmigrante Rentista” FM2s and the old “No Inmigrante Rentista” FM3s*** The FM2 and FM3 Rentistas are so much the same as Residente Temporal, that when you apply for a Residente Temporal permit, you simply apply for and extension of your current status… See out application letters below.
See Chapter 2, Article 52, Item VII

***”Residente Temporal Estudiante“: Covers Student Studies, Research, Training, including working on university degrees.
See Chapter 2, Article 52, Item VIII

***”Residente Permanente“: Several types: Covers the old “Inmigrado” and a few special “No Inmigrantes” (the old FM3s for asylum seekers & refugees ), and it appears to cover working “Inmigrantes”**. It allows indefinite stays, no need to renew, and includes the right to work, with no approvals or work permits needed.
See Chapter 2, Article 52, Item IX
and Transitorios, Sexto, I – VI (see more below)**

By posting, you confirm that you have read and agreed to be bound by the board's usage terms.


Be sure to visit