La Message Board Archives

Re: Driving across the border(no subject)

Posted by Bret B on July 9, 2013, 11:49 am, in reply to "Re: Driving across the border(no subject)"

Donna and I recently drove out thru Nogales. At the 21km station, there is a car permit booth on the right side of the highway. You give them the original vehicle importation form that came with the hologram sticker, then you get the hologram sticker scraped off (make sure you get the receipt.)

Then drive across the highway into the big parking lot and go to the Inmigracion office. We showed them our passports and Residente Temporal cards and said we were departing. They stamped our passports, but didn't offer us the form like you fill out when leaving by air.

We didn't think to ask for the form, because we always have driven back in the past. Hopefully this won't bite us when we return this time (probably via bus, but maybe via plane.)

You can ask for the form and see if they have them and know how to fill them out. Good luck!

No matter what you have or don't have when you return via plane, don't let anyone try to give you a tourist visa. I have heard that this will invalidate your Residente Temporal and you'll have to start over by reapplying outside of Mexico, and you would lose your credits toward the Residente Permanente.

By posting, you confirm that you have read and agreed to be bound by the board's usage terms.


Be sure to visit