La Message Board Archives

Re: Getting Mexican Plates for my Car

Posted by cruz on May 2, 2013, 9:29 pm, in reply to "Re: Getting Mexican Plates for my Car"

I don't know the answer to the entire question, Kate, but I think I know for sure that you do not get plates at the border when you nationalize your auto. I nationalized my Ford Ranger when crossing the border to return to LM. I got stickers for my truck (in order to drive down without Mexican plates) and paperwork to be exchanged for the plates in the county of residence, in this case La Huerta, which I did.

A possible glitch in this part of the process is that La Huerta can send you to Autlan and there they check to see that your vehicle is Hoyle and not stolen.

Also, I had called the aduana people before getting near the border to find out what the fee would be to legalize my truck. In 2011, it cost $1,100 USD to process my 1999 vehicle. This worked for me since my vehicle, with low mileage, was relatively cheap to begin with. I had already accepted the amount before arriving in Nogales. The amount aduana charges seems to change each year and is sure to be higher for newer vehicles.

I guess it' a toss up depending on your situation and preferences. Different strokes for ----------- -------. Cruz

By posting, you confirm that you have read and agreed to be bound by the board's usage terms.


Be sure to visit