La Message Board Archives

Re: Dogs Poisoned

Posted by rustyandjulie on December 21, 2009, 8:51 am, in reply to "Re: Dogs Poisoned"

Does Rocio have any idea of what kind of poison they got into?
Doesn't sound like rat poison, which causes bleeding, or strychnine, which causes convulsions. It could be antifreeze and someone being really sloppy with their car. I'll talk to the car mechanic that lives in that area and make sure he's being really careful.
Antifreeze is really salty and Dogs seem to love it.
Vitamin K is what you give to an animal that has gotten into rat poison. As long as you begin treatment within a day of the ingestion the animal can be saved (it helps with coagulation of the blood). For Strychnine there is not much hope -it kills very very fast.
Hope this isn't too much graphic information , but for those of us who care it's good to know.
It's best not to assume it's "poisoning on purpose" until all other information has been looked into.

Message Thread:

By posting, you confirm that you have read and agreed to be bound by the board's usage terms.

Be sure to visit