La Message Board Archives

Re: Car to MX

Posted by Jon on August 27, 2009, 2:16 pm, in reply to "Re: Car to MX"

Only the owner of the car may bring it across the border. This can be done along with getting your FMT for 180 days. You can then wait up to 5 months to apply for an FM3. (You can only apply for an FM3, not an FM2 which requires that your car have plates from a Mexican state or DF.) The importation sticker on your car is valid as long as you have a valid visa. It is the same whether you have an FMT or an FM3. When you get your FM3, the importation sticker is good as long as the FM3 is in effect. No return to the border is needed. So your only real hitch is the owner being with the car when it crosses into Mexico. You might consider taking a bus up to the border or flying to meet up with your driver to get the car across. To save money, try flying cheaply to Tijuana or Monterrey, then taking a bus or cab across the border. Hope this helps.

Message Thread:

By posting, you confirm that you have read and agreed to be bound by the board's usage terms.


Be sure to visit