La Message Board Archives

Re: cars in Mex?

Posted by Jon Pace on April 27, 2009, 5:22 pm, in reply to "Re: cars in Mex?"

Hi Judy,
I'd just like to point out again that, if you have an accident in Mexico while driving with expired US state registration you risk the other party claiming that you had no right to be on the road. It is not legal in Mexico to drive with US state plates that are expired, it is just that no one knows what to do about it (except the lawyer for the other party in an accident). Most people either don't know this or ignore it, but they do so at their own risk. Much safer to have cheap, legal South Dakota registration.

Also, you can bring in one car per visa at any time, not just for the first six months after getting an FM3. If you get an FM2, legally you may only own a Mexican-plated car. And, if you miss the six-month deadline for moving your other possessions duty free, you can use an expediter at the border, usually for less money than a moving company, and pay nothing in duty.

Message Thread:

By posting, you confirm that you have read and agreed to be bound by the board's usage terms.


Be sure to visit